Kanaha Beach Park hosts a two-mile stretch of white-to-gold sand beach and tropical blue water, sheltered by lush greenery. With its walking-distance proximity from Maui Airport (OGG), this semi-secret gem is a great place to start or end any Maui itinerary.
The North Shore of Maui is known for receiving high winds and strong currents, but also for its spectacular beaches with picturesque views of the West Maui Mountains. The powerful tides and trade winds make for poor snorkeling conditions, but are exactly what the local surfers and windsurfers love about it.
Discover everything you need to know for visiting Kanaha Beach Park, including photo galleries, directions, service, and more in this complete guide.
Disclosure: In order to keep providing you with free content, this post likely contains affiliate links. If you make a booking or purchase through one of these links we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. So a HUGE thank you to you if you click one of these links 🙂
Kanaha Beach Park Photo Gallery
The Kanaha Beach Park photo gallery above gives some insight as to what you can expect to see on your visit to this beautiful North Maui destination.
Aqua and turquoise water meet white-to-gold sand with the West Maui Mountains towering in the background. When conditions are right, this becomes one of the best places in Hawaii for windsurfing and kitesurfing.
Kanaha Beach Park Overview
- Nearest Town: Kahalui
- Parking: A parking lot is available at Kanaha Beach Park.
- Public Bathrooms? Yes.
- Showers? Yes.
- Lifeguard? Yes.
Kanaha Beach Park is located within walking distance of the Maui Kahului Airport (OGG), making it a great place first or last stop for holiday visitors. The white-to-gold sand, lush greenery, tropical waters, and mountain views look like something stolen from a postcard.
The favorable offshore breezes this region often receives make it a very popular destination for local windsurfers. Its remote nature also makes it a favorite spot for the native honu, aka Hawaiian sea turtles, to rest.
The west end of the park is the more developed, providing restrooms, showers, parking, lifeguards, and most other basic amenities.
How to Get to Kanaha Beach Park
With Navigation: GPS devices will recognize the beach by name.
General Directions: Kanaha Beach Park is located off of Amala Place road on the North Shore of Maui. You can connect to Amala Place by taking Mayor Elmer F. Cravalho Way as if you were going to the airport but continuing past it.
When to Visit
The best time to visit Kanaha Beach is right after you have gotten off the plane! The park is located just a short walk away from the airport, waiting to welcome vacationers with some Maui aloha.
Seasonally, those same winds that delight windsurfers make enjoying the sandy shore difficult. The wind and water tend to be calmer and the colors more vibrant during morning visits.
Other Relevant Maui Guides
Before you go, you may want to skim some of the titles for other relevant Maui guides below to ensure you do not miss any epic beaches, sunset destinations, or noteworthy things to do during your visit to the Valley Isle!
- HAWAII PACKING LIST: A printable essential packing list + 25 useful items to consider
- 5-7 DAY MAUI ITINERARY: How to see the entire island in one week or less
- WHERE TO STAY ON MAUI: The best places and areas to stay on the island
- PLANNING A TRIP TO MAUI: Step by step guide for planning your first visit to Maui
- ROAD TO HANA STOPS: The Top 25 places to visit on the Road to Hana
- ROAD TO HANA ITINERARY: How to plan for a 1-2 day self drive.
- BEST MAUI PHOTO SPOTS: 15 best places for photographing Maui
- SECRET BEACHES OF MAUI: The 10 most incredible hidden beaches on the island
- MAUI SUNSETS: The Top 10 places & activities for watching sunset in Maui
- KIHEI BEACHES GUIDE: Photos, locations, and descriptions for all 15 beaches in Kihei