Kalama Park in Maui is a spacious, 36-acre park perfect for picnicking, biking, or enjoying other outdoor recreation. There is technically a beach, but it is very small and is not to be confused with the far more famous Kalama Beach Park of Oahu!
The actual beach at Kalama Park is possibly the worst of the 15 beaches in Kihei. It is very small, shallow, rocky, and typically murky with seaweed.
That said, the park itself is one of the best outdoor spaces in Kihei for long walks, bicycling, picnics, and activities. It provides great facilities and is conveniently located in front of Kihei Kalama Village, where you’ll find many shops and restaurants. Additionally, it is a popular spot for surf lessons.
Discover everything you need to know for visiting including photos, directions, and more useful information below.
Disclosure: In order to keep providing you with free content, this post likely contains affiliate links. If you make a booking or purchase through one of these links we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. So a HUGE thank you to you if you click one of these links 🙂
Kalama Park Maui Photo Gallery
The Kalama Beach Park photo gallery above shows what you can expect to see on your visit to this Maui destination.
As you may notice, there is very little beach at all, but plenty of grass and trails and outdoor recreation opportunities to enjoy instead.
EXPLORE MORE OF THE AREA:
Complete Guide to ALL 15 Kihei Beaches
Kalama Park Overview
- Nearest Town: Kihei
- Parking? Ample parking in the lot
- Public Bathrooms? Yes
- Picnic Benches? Yes
- Showers? Yes
- Grills? Yes
- Lifeguard? No
Kalama Park in Maui is an excellent destination for a variety of non-beach activities. A covered pavilion provides cover for everything from large group BBQs or parties to casual picnics.
In addition, there is a skate park, inline skate rink, baseball & soccer field, basketball & tennis court, and even a children’s playground available for public recreation. A paved walkway also spans the shoreline, perfect for walking or cycling.
The one thing you do not want to go to Kalama Beach Park for is, surprisingly, the beach. Only a small inlet exists which is entirely covered during high tide. During low tide, the sand is uncomfortably coarse and filled with debris. The water is typically filled with seaweed, and unideal for swimming.
However, Kalama Beach is a popular location, along with nearby Cove Beach Park for surf lessons and stand-up paddleboard lessons! The reliable, gentle waves and shallower water provide the perfect place for beginner and intermediate surfers.
DISCOVER MORE OF MAUI:
The Perfect Maui Itinerary for an Unforgettable Vacation
How to Get to Kalama Park
With Navigation: Navigate to “Kalama Park“. This will bring you to the parking lot.
General Directions: Kalama Park is located just off of South Kihei Road, opposite Kihei Kalama Village. It is easily visible with a large whale statue at the entrance, as well as a sign for the park itself. At the junction with Keala Pl, turn left into the parking lot from the south or turn right if coming from the north.
Other Relevant Maui Guides
Before you go, you may want to skim some of the titles for other relevant Maui guides below to ensure you do not miss any epic beaches, sunset destinations, or noteworthy things to do during your visit to the Valley Isle!
- HAWAII PACKING LIST: A printable essential packing list + 25 useful items to consider
- 5-7 DAY MAUI ITINERARY: How to see the entire island in one week or less
- WHERE TO STAY ON MAUI: The best places and areas to stay on the island
- PLANNING A TRIP TO MAUI: Step by step guide for planning your first visit to Maui
- ROAD TO HANA STOPS: The Top 25 places to visit on the Road to Hana
- ROAD TO HANA ITINERARY: How to plan for a 1-2 day self drive.
- BEST MAUI PHOTO SPOTS: 15 best places for photographing Maui
- SECRET BEACHES OF MAUI: The 10 most incredible hidden beaches on the island
- MAUI SUNSETS: The Top 10 places & activities for watching sunset in Maui
- KIHEI BEACHES GUIDE: Photos, locations, and descriptions for all 15 beaches in Kihei
- BEST SNORKELING IN MAUI: Best snorkel spots, tips, tours and more.