Located just behind the Kahului Airport (OGG) is a hidden tropical oasis known as VOR Beach. Due to its secluded nature, this beautiful beach is typically quiet and mostly known only by locals.
The peaceful and beautiful nature of the North Shore of Maui framed by the West Maui Mountains makes it the perfect getaway for beach-goers who want to enjoy some tranquility on this busy island.
Learn how to find this hidden gem and why it is considered one of the best secret beaches on Maui in this complete visitors guide to VOR Beach. This includes photos, directions, service, and everything you need to know before visiting.
Disclosure: In order to keep providing you with free content, this post likely contains affiliate links. If you make a booking or purchase through one of these links we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. So a HUGE thank you to you if you click one of these links 🙂
VOR Beach Photo Gallery
If you are wondering whether a trip to this obscure shoreline is worth the time, hopefully, these photos will convince you. Below is a collection of the best VOR Beach images to inspire your visit.
- Nearest Town: Paia
- Public Bathrooms? No.
- Picnic Benches? No.
- Showers? No.
- Grills? No.
- Lifeguard? No.
VOR Beach is a secluded, secret beach on the North Shore of Maui behind the Kahului Airport (OGG) of Maui. The primary beach is attached to the parking area, but there are several coves in both directions that can be quickly reached with a short walk.
The beach is a popular spot for locals and is seldom seen by tourists. It is also commonly enjoyed by the resident green sea turtles, or “honu” as they are known in Hawaiian.
The primary activities beachgoers enjoy at VOR are snorkeling, kite surfing, fishing, and camping. It’s also a great spot to watch the planes coming and going from the airport, although they can be loud due to their proximity.
Finally, this hidden gem is located just slightly off of the Hana Highway. Visitors planning the scenic drive should be sure to include this as a must-see stop on the Road to Hana.
How to Get to VOR Beach
With Navigation: Input “VOR Beach” into navigation. As you will see on the map above, there eare two gated roads to the beach. Do NOT take the first road off of Stable Road toward the beach, but rather the second gated road after it. The second is in a much better condition.
General Directions: From the Kahului Airport or anywhere on the west side of the island, drive east on the Hana Hwy toward Paia. Make a left onto Stable Road. Make a right onto the second road leading to the beach (NOT the first dirt road – this one is not in a good condition!)
When to Visit
Afternoons are the best time to visit VOR Beach, particularly if it is clear and sunny. Make sure you pack your snorkel gear as this is a great place to snorkel and the overhead sunlight will make it even better. Also, the resident sea turtles are more likely to pay a visit in the afternoon and evening.
Morning is also a fine time, but some of the smaller coves will still be in shade. Also, the morning tends to be cloudier on this side of Maui (though not always).
Other Relevant Maui Guides
Before you go, you may want to skim some of the titles for other relevant Maui guides below to ensure you do not miss any epic beaches, sunset destinations, or noteworthy things to do during your visit to the Valley Isle!
- NORTH SHORE OF MAUI: All the best beaches and things to do on Maui’s North Shore
- MAUI PACKING LIST: A printable essential packing list + 25 useful items to consider
- 7 DAY MAUI ITINERARY: How to see the entire island in one week
- WHERE TO STAY ON MAUI: The best places and areas to stay on the island
- PLANNING A TRIP TO MAUI: Step-by-step guide for planning your first visit to Maui
- ROAD TO HANA STOPS: The Top 25 places to visit on the Road to Hana
- ROAD TO HANA ITINERARY: How to plan for a 1-2 day self-drive.
- BEST MAUI PHOTO SPOTS: 15 best places for photographing Maui
- SECRET BEACHES OF MAUI: The 10 most incredible hidden beaches on the island
- MAUI SUNSETS: The Top 10 places & activities for watching sunset in Maui
- KIHEI BEACHES GUIDE: Photos, locations, and descriptions for all 15 beaches in Kihei
- BEST SNORKELING IN MAUI: Best snorkel spots, tips, tours, and more.