There’s nothing quite like an adventure in the mountains, being surrounded by nature’s giants. The achievement of reaching the summit, the epic views along the way, the feeling of weightlessness as you ski down, the sense of awe as you are immersed amongst the wilderness. The mountains have the ability to conjure up our most primal emotions and feelings.
It is, therefore, no surprise that life is often compared to the mountains, with its many ups and downs and challenges. Perhaps this is why quotes about mountains resonate with so many of us. I know I can personally relate to many of these mountain quotes!
Whether you’re looking for quotes to inspire your next adventure, some inspirational and motivational quotes to get you going, or mountain captions for Instagram, this list of the best mountain quotes has you covered!
You may also enjoy our other quotes blogs:
Original Mountain Quotes
Here are some mountain quotes you won’t find anywhere else on the internet (well as least not when we first wrote this!). These are all original, unique mountain quotes that have been taken from journals, conversations we’ve had, or thought up while hiking together. Alright, the hiking together was technically pacing the garden in the rain due to current lockdown measures… But that’s basically the same thing right?!
If you use these quotes on social media, please don’t forget to tag us! Or if you’d like to use any of our graphics on your website send us an email 🙂
- “The mountains are the last place where man can feel truly wild.” – We Dream of Travel
- “The great thing about reaching the top of the mountain is realising that there’s space for more than one person. And you’re now in the prime position to help others up.” – We Dream of Travel
- “I see every person as a mountain of sorts; we can see how they look from afar, but will never know them until we explore.” – We Dream of Travel
- “You cannot conquer a mountain, for it shall continue to exist beyond you. However, if not careful, a mountain can conquer you.” – We Dream of Travel
- “My spirit soars where the air goes thin.” – We Dream of Travel
- “A younger me needed to climb every mountain. The older me says they photograph better from the bottom.” – We Dream of Travel
- “We always discuss reaching the top of the mountain as the challenge. But those that have been there know coming back down is the hardest part.” – We Dream of Travel
- “I’ve never understood hiring Sherpas to claim you’ve conquered Everest. I’d rather climb a mountain half the size and be able to say I’ve done it on my own.” – We Dream of Travel
- “The sun shines brightest from the peaks of mountains.” – We Dream of Travel
- “Some mountains only require a good pair of shoes. Others require an entire team to conquer. Knowing which is which is the key to success.” – We Dream of Travel
- “What a funny world we live in when we won’t turn our phones off, yet we get excited to see we’ve hiked far enough to lose service.” – We Dream of Travel
Quotes About Mountains
Here’s a collection of some of our favourite quotes about mountains from a variety of different sources.
- “Over every mountain, there is a pass, although it may not be seen from the valley”
- “Mountains teach that not everything in this world can be rationally explained.” – Aleksander Lwow
- “‘I like the mountains because they make me feel small,’ Jeff says. ‘They help me sort out what’s important in life.’” – Mark Obmascik
- “Chasing angels or fleeing demons, go to the mountains.” – Jeffrey Rasley
- “Keep close to Nature’s heart… and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.” – John Muir
- “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity.” – John Muir
- “How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!” – John Muir
- “I like geography best because your mountains & rivers know the secret; Pay no attention to borders.” – Brian Andreas
- “Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.” – Anatoli Boukreev
Short Mountain Quotes
Sometimes you just need a short and sweet quote without the extra fluff! These short mountain quotes are perfect for those moments when less is more.
- “The mountains are calling and I must go.” – John Muir
- “Go where you feel most alive.”
- “Going to the mountains is going home.”
- “Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!” – Dr. Seuss
- “Hike more. Worry Less.”
- “You are not in the mountains. The mountains are in you.” – John Muir
- “The best view comes after the hardest climb.”
- “All good things are wild and free.”
- “What are men to rocks and mountains?” – Jane Austen
- “So this was what a mountain was like, the same as a person: the more you know, the less you fear.” – Wu Ming-Yi
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY: 120+ Best Road Trip Quotes
Funny Mountain Quotes
While mountains can instill a lot of inspiration, not everything needs to be so serious. These funny mountain quotes capture the lighter side to climbing mountains.
- “Sometimes, you just need to change your altitude.”
- “Until further notice, assume that we’re peaking.”
- “In the mountains there are only two grades: You can either do it, or you can’t.” – Rusty Baille
- “There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Rannulph Fiennes
- “Sleeping bags are the soft tacos of the bear world.”
- “A crude meal, no doubt, but the best of all sauces is hunger.” – Edward Abbey
- “You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a lift pass.”
- “Don’t make a mountain out of a molehill.” – John Fox
- “You climb to reach the summit, but once there, discover that all roads lead down.” – Stanislaw Lem
Mountain Top Quotes
Reaching the mountain top, whether literally or metaphorically, is always an achievement. These mountain top quotes offer a little wisdom and inspiration for those moments.
- “Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.” – Ed Viesturs
- “I’ve realised that at the top of the mountain, there’s another mountain.” – Andrew Garfield
- “Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was.” – Dag Hammarskjold
- “Each fresh peak ascended teaches something.” – Sir Martin Convay
- “The way up to the top of the mountain is always longer than you think. Don’t fool yourself, the moment will arrive when what seemed so near is still very far.” – Paulo Coelho
- “Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you’re climbing it.” – Andy Rooney
Quotes About Climbing Mountains
Let’s face it, climbing mountains is rarely (never?!) easy! But it’s the climb that is also what provides so much satisfaction and enjoyment. These quotes about climbing mountains encompass all those feelings and experiences along the way.
- “The higher you climb on the mountain, the harder the wind blows.” – Sam Cummings
- “Stop staring at mountains. Climb them instead, yes, it’s a harder process but it will lead you to a better view.”
- “Getting to the top of any given mountain was considered much less important than how one got there: prestige was earned by tackling the most unforgiving routes with minimal equipment, in the boldest style imaginable.” – Jon Krakauer
- “You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you’ve climbed a mountain.” – Tom Hiddleston
- “You never climb the same mountain twice, not even in memory. Memory rebuilds the mountain, changes the weather, retells the jokes, remakes all the moves.” – Lito Tejada-Flores
- “When preparing to climb a mountain – pack a light heart.” – Dan May
- “Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb.” – Greg Child
- “Once Everest was determined to be the highest summit on earth, it was only a matter of time before people decided that Everest needed to be climbed.” – Jon Krakauer
- “You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen.” – Rene Daumal
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY: 130+ Sunset Captions for Instagram
Inspirational Mountain Quotes
Mountains are often used as metaphors for life. We each have our own mountains to climb and challenges to overcome… Therefore, it’s no surprise that there are so many inspirational mountain quotes.
- “Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” – David McCullough Jr.
- “Happiness is not at the top of the mountains but in how to climb it.”
- “It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.” – Sir Edmund Hillary
- “No matter how tall the mountain is, it cannot block the sun.” – Chinese Proverb
- “He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary.” – Friedrich Neitszche
- “It’s not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.” – Edmund Hillary
- “In a flat country, a hillock thinks itself a mountain.” – Turkish Proverb
- “There is no wifi in the mountains, but I promise you will find a better connection.”
- “Everybody wants to reach the peak, but there is no growth on the top of a mountain. It is in the valley that we slog through the lush grass and rich soil, learning and becoming what enables us to summit life’s next peak.” – Andy Andrews
- “Be like a mountain, aim to touch the sky but stay rooted to the ground”
Motivational Mountain Quotes
Sometimes we all need a bit of motivation to keep tackling those mountains.
- “The deepest sea has a bottom, the highest mountain has a summit.” – Chinese Proverb
- “The experienced mountain climber is not intimidated by a mountain – he is inspired by it. The persistent winner is not discouraged by a problem – he is challenged by it. Mountains are created to be conquered; adversities are designed to be defeated; problems are sent to be solved.” – William Arthur Ward
- “Mountains know secrets we need to learn. That it might take time, it might be hard, but if you just hold on long enough, you will find the strength to rise up.” – Tyler Knott
- “Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.” – Barry Finlay
- “May your dreams be larger than mountains and may you have the courage to scale their summits.” – Harley King
- “Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more that what we could learn from books.” – John Lubbock
- “When faced with a large project, remember you move a mountain one stone at a time.” – Catherine Pulsifer
Beautiful Mountain Quotes
Mountains are arguably the most scenic landscapes to photograph. Despite there being so many mountain ranges around the world, each have their own unique shapes and characteristics. However, they are all united by their beauty.
- “May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.” – Edward Abbey
- “My happy place…. The forest, The mountains …. No better place to recharge than in the embrace of mother nature.”
- “Mountains are the beginning and end of all natural scenery.” – John Ruskin
- “The mountain remains unmoved at seeming defeat by the mist.” – Rabindranath Tagore
- “Only mountains can feel the frozen warmth of the sun through snow’s gentle caress on their peaks.” – Munia Khan
- “This mountain, the arched back of the earth risen before us, it made me feel humble, like a beggar, just lucky to be here at all, even briefly.” – Bridget Asher
- “Although I deeply love oceans, deserts, and other wild landscapes, it is only mountains that beckon me with that sort of painful magnetic pull to walk deeper and deeper into their beauty.” – Victoria Erikson
- “To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Mountain Travel Quotes
Nothing quite compares to escaping to the mountains. Whether you’re taking a mountain vacation, hitting the slopes or going out hiking, adventures await you.
- “There are far better things ahead than the ones we leave behind.” – C.S. Lewis
- “Life sucks a lot less when you add mountain air, a campfire and some peace and quiet.” – Brooke Hampton
- “When the wind calls, you know, that somewhere in the mountains, it has found the answers that you were looking for. The pull of the horizon overcomes the inertia of reason… And you just have to go.” – Vikram Oberoi
- “The climb speaks to our character, but the view, I think, to our souls.” – Lori Lansens
- “If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads.” – Anatole France
- “When a man is a traveler, the world is his house and the sky is his roof, where he hangs his hat is his home, and all the people are his family.” – Drew Bundini Brown
- “There’s a world out there, and you’ve got to look at both sides of the mountain in your lifetime.” – Bill Janklow
Mountain Adventure Quotes
No matter whether it’s a day hike or a backpacking trip, hiking in the mountains is almost always guaranteed to be a fun adventure.
- “The danger of an adventure is worth a thousand days of ease and comfort.” – Paulo Coelho
- “It’s always further than it looks. It’s always taller than it looks. And it’s always harder than it looks.” – The three rules of mountaineering
- “Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence.” – Hermann Buhl
- “Sometimes you just need an adventure to cleanse the bitter taste of life from your soul.”
- “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it is lethal.” – Paulo Coelho
- “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.” – Edward Abbey
- “Any coward can sit at home and criticize a pilot for flying into a mountain in a fog. But I would rather by far die on a mountainside than in bed.” – Charles Lindbergh
- “You must go on adventures to find out where you truly belong.” – Sue Fitzmaurice
- “Adventure isn’t hanging on a rope off the side of a mountain. Adventure is an attitude that we must apply to the day to day obstacles of life.” – John Amatt
- “Without mountains, we might find ourselves relieved that we can avoid the pain of the ascent, but we will forever miss the thrill of the summit. And in such a terribly scandalous trade-off, it is the absence of pain that becomes the thief of life.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
Mountain Life Quotes
Mountains provide so many metaphors for life. The journey, the challenges and the accomplishment we feel climbing mountains are synonymous with those experienced during our lives.
- “It isn’t the mountain ahead that wears you out; it’s the grain of sand in your shoe.” – Robert W. Service
- “Let’s not mince words: Everest doesn’t attract a whole lot of well-balanced folks. The self-selection process tends to weed out the cautious and the sensible in favor of those who are single-minded and incredibly driven. Which is a big reason the mountain is so dangerous.” – Jon Krakauer
- “If you are faced with a mountain, you have several options. You can climb it and cross to the other side. You can go around it. You can dig under it. You can fly over it. You can blow it up. You can ignore it and pretend it’s not there. You can turn around and go back the way you came. Or you can stay on the mountain and make it your home.” – Vera Nazarian
- “The choices we make lead up to actual experiences. It is one thing to decide to climb a mountain. It is quite another to be on top of it.” Herbert A. Simon
- “Life’s a bit like mountaineering – never look down.” – Edmund Hillary
- “My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing.” – Aldous Huxley
- “The cliche is that life is a mountain. You go up, reach the top and then go down.” – Jeanne Moreau
- “Every great achievement is but a small peak in the mountain range of contributions.” – Dale T. Mortensen
- “Great men are rarely isolated mountain peaks; they are the summits of ranges.” – Thomas W. Higginson
Mountain Captions for Instagram
Trying to think of Instagram captions is never an easy task. These mountain captions for Instagram will help with a little extra inspiration. Discover the perfect quote to match your mountain shot.
- “That girl, she’s going to move mountains.”
- “Wake up, it’s adventure and coffee time.”
- “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.” – T.S. Eliot
- “I am never lost in the mountains, its where I find myself.”
- “Take me to the mountains.”
- “Climbing my way to bigger and better things.”
- “Life should have more mountains and less stress.”
- “Great things are done when men and mountains meet.”
- “Life is better when you’re surrounded by your best friends in the mountains.”
- “Always be thankful for the little things… even the smallest mountains can hide the most breathtaking views!” – Nyki Mack
- “Your faith can move mountains and your doubt can create them.” – Swami Vivekananda
- “Over every mountain, there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley.” – Theodore Roethke
- “Time in the mountains is always snow much fun.”
- “Enjoying life in the snow lane.”
- “All I need is a mountain breeze and tall trees.”
- “I love places that make you realize how tiny you and your problems are.”
We absolutely love the mountains and hope that these mountain quotes may have inspired you to get out and explore, or perhaps completed that perfect Instagram photo!
Do you have a favourite mountain quote on this list? Or are there any we’ve missed?! As always, leave us a comment and let us know what you think.
Before you go, you may also like some of these posts that include mountainous regions:
FOUND THESE QUOTES INSPIRATIONAL OR FUNNY? PIN THEM! 🙂
Sharing is caring. If you’ve not already pinned your favourite quote, why not pin one of these ones to save this post for later and share the love!