Mokapu Beach is an idyllic, golden-sand shoreline in the Wailea-Makena region of Maui. It is located directly in front of the Andaz Resort Maui and is a premier destination for sunset, whale watching, and the nightly “Feast of Mokapu Luau.”
Discover everything you need to know for visiting Mokapu Beach including photo inspiration and directions on how to book the incredible sunset luau that takes place nearby.
Disclosure: In order to keep providing you with free content, this post likely contains affiliate links. If you make a booking or purchase through one of these links we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. So a HUGE thank you to you if you click one of these links 🙂
Mokapu Beach Photo Gallery
Mokapu Beach Overview
- Nearest Town: Wailea
- Parking? Yes, a shared parking lot with Ulua Beach.
- Public Bathrooms? Yes.
- Picnic Benches? No.
- Showers? Yes.
- Grills? No.
- Lifeguard? No.
Located at the base of the Andaz Resort, Mokapu Beach is a beautiful golden-sand beach similar to many others you will discover along the Wailea shoreline.
What makes it special and unique from nearby options is the nightly sunset luau, the adorning lava rock, and the greenery that separates it from nearby Ulua Beach. This section of lush vegetation also provides a stage for large, healthy palm trees that are perfect for framing sunset.
During the day, this quarter-mile sandy beach is the perfect spot for lounging and enjoying the tropical Maui weather, as well as offering excellent snorkeling and bodyboarding offshore. Due to its close proximity to some of the best honeymoon hotels in Maui, it is particularly popular with couples on a romantic getaway.
Mokapu Beach is also considered one of the Top 10 places for watching sunset in Maui.
How to Get to Mokapu Beach
With Navigation: Set navigation to “Ulua Beach Public Parking.” This is the access point for both Ulua Beach and Mokapu Beach.
General Directions: Driving south along Wailea Alanui Drive from Kihei, turn right onto Ulua Beach Road after passing Andaz Resort Maui. The public parking area will be your first right turn.
When to Visit Mokapu Beach
The best time to visit Mokapu Beach is at sunset. The views to the west are completely unobstructed and there are a handful of palms majestically staged to frame some incredible Hawaii sunset shots. Additionally, lava rock adorns the shoreline to add visual interest to the scenery.
The Feast at Mokapu Luau also begins at sunset which can be viewed even if you are not a guest of the hotel. That said, partaking in the meal and total experience is highly recommended and was voted one of the best things to do for sunset in Maui.
As Mokapu Beach is basically connected to Andaz, it can be quite crowded on sunny days with hotel guests and other tourists staying nearby. Still, it is a large enough beach that you should have no trouble finding a place to call home any time of day.
The Feast at Mokapu Luau
Every night at sunset, native Hawaiians perform an authentic luau that tells the story of Maui’s history according to legend. This cultural delight is paired with authentic Hawaiian food, tropical cocktails, music, and usually a beautiful sky.
Other Relevant Maui Guides
Before you go, you may want to skim some of the titles for other relevant Maui guides below to ensure you do not miss any epic beaches, sunset destinations, or noteworthy things to do during your visit to the Valley Isle!
- HAWAII PACKING LIST: A printable essential packing list + 25 useful items to consider
- 5-7 DAY MAUI ITINERARY: How to see the entire island in one week or less
- WHERE TO STAY ON MAUI: The best places and areas to stay on the island
- PLANNING A TRIP TO MAUI: Step by step guide for planning your first visit to Maui
- ROAD TO HANA STOPS: The Top 25 places to visit on the Road to Hana
- ROAD TO HANA ITINERARY: How to plan for a 1-2 day self drive.
- BEST MAUI PHOTO SPOTS: 15 best places for photographing Maui
- SECRET BEACHES OF MAUI: The 10 most incredible hidden beaches on the island
- MAUI SUNSETS: The Top 10 places & activities for watching sunset in Maui
- KIHEI BEACHES GUIDE: Photos, locations, and descriptions for all 15 beaches in Kihei
- BEST SNORKELING IN MAUI: Best snorkel spots, tips, tours and more.