🔥 UPDATE ON THE MAUI WILDFIRES
All fires are contained! Travel to Maui is safe and encouraged. As of October 8, 2023, the entire island is open to the public, with the exception of Lahaina.
This includes the “West Maui” region that had been closed to non-essential travel following the wildfires.
Lipoa Street Beach is a quiet beach at the north end of Kihei with abundant greenery and coarse sand. Despite being picturesque, it is one of the quietest beaches in the area and is visited mostly by locals.
Discover the exact location and directions for finding this semi-hidden gem as well as inspiring photos, services, and everything you need to know prior to visiting in this complete guide.
Disclosure: In order to keep providing you with free content, this post likely contains affiliate links. If you make a booking or purchase through one of these links we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. So a HUGE thank you to you if you click one of these links 🙂
Lipoa Street Beach Photo Gallery
Lipoa Street Beach Overview
- Nearest Town: Kihei
- Parking: Streetside.
- Public Bathrooms? No.
- Picnic Benches? No.
- Showers? No.
- Grills? No.
- Lifeguard? No.
Lipoa Street Beach is not typically considered one of the best beaches in Kihei, but it has its charms. For example, you will often find a green turtle (or honu in Hawaiian) resting on there in the afternoons. Additionally, the row of palm trees makes for some great photo opportunities.
The sand is coarse and there is often a lot of debris on the beach, and when we visited there was a bit of trash here too. This, unfortunately, seems common based on other users’ reviews of this beach.
It’s worth stopping by at sunset to possibly catch a glimpse of a turtle and to watch the sunset in the palm tree grove.
How to Get to Lipoa Street Beach
There are several public access ways to the beach from Uluniu Road. There is some roadside parking at the end of West Lipoa Street, or alternatively, there are a few parking lots nearby that would require a short walk.
With Navigation: Enter “Lipoa Street Beach” into your navigation.
General Directions: From the south, follow South Kihei Road then turn left onto West Lipoa Street. From the north, turn right off of South Kihei Road onto West Lipoa. Continue to the end of the road where you’ll find a few roadside parking spaces and beach access.
When to Visit Lipoa Street Beach
With its westerly views and frequent evening visits from green turtles, or honus, Lipoa Street Beach is one of the best places for watching sunset in Maui.
If sunset is not an option, any clear sunny day can be enjoyable here. It is typically quiet any time of day, at least by Kihei standards, and offers plenty of shade when desired.
Other Relevant Maui Guides
Before you go, you may want to skim some of the titles for other relevant Maui guides below to ensure you do not miss any epic beaches, sunset destinations, or noteworthy things to do during your visit to the Valley Isle!
- MAUI PACKING LIST: A printable essential packing list + 25 useful items to consider
- 7 DAY MAUI ITINERARY: How to see the entire island in one week
- WHERE TO STAY ON MAUI: The best places and areas to stay on the island
- PLANNING A TRIP TO MAUI: Step-by-step guide for planning your first visit to Maui
- ROAD TO HANA STOPS: The Top 25 places to visit on the Road to Hana
- ROAD TO HANA ITINERARY: How to plan for a 1-2 day self-drive.
- BEST MAUI PHOTO SPOTS: 15 best places for photographing Maui
- SECRET BEACHES OF MAUI: The 10 most incredible hidden beaches on the island
- MAUI SUNSETS: The Top 10 places & activities for watching sunset in Maui
- KIHEI BEACHES GUIDE: Photos, locations, and descriptions for all 15 beaches in Kihei
- BEST SNORKELING IN MAUI: Best snorkel spots, tips, tours, and more.