Come for the beach, stay for the food – Mama’s Fish House Beach (also known as Kuau Cove) is a quaint but stunning little beach on the north shore of Maui. It is considered one of the best places on Maui for sunset and is good for turtle spotting.
You do not actually need to dine at the restaurant to enjoy the beach. That said, Mama’s Fish House is known for having the best seafood on Maui, perhaps in Hawaii, so it is worth considering.
Whether this is just going to be a quick stop on the Road to Hana or a night dedicated to experiencing dinner with an unbeatable view, below is a complete guide with everything you need to know for visiting.
Disclosure: In order to keep providing you with free content, this post likely contains affiliate links. If you make a booking or purchase through one of these links we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. So a HUGE thank you to you if you click one of these links 🙂
Mama’s Fish House Beach Photo Gallery
Mama’s Fish House Beach General Information
Below is all of the general information that may be useful for planning a day trip or short visit to the beach.
Located along the North Shore of Maui, Mama’s Fish House Beach is a small but beautiful golden sand beach. It can be found directly in front of the restaurant bearing its namesake and is also known as Kuau Cove.
Both the beach and restaurant are located just down the road from Paia, considered one of the Top 10 best towns in Maui to visit.
It is considered one of the best places to watch sunset in Maui and is good for snorkeling, so make sure you bring your snorkel gear. Both of these are especially true when the resident sea turtles, or honu as they’re locally known, pay their usual evening visit.
- Nearest Town: Paia.
- Public Bathrooms? No, but the restaurant has one.
- Picnic Benches? No, but there are small sitting benches on the grassy knoll near the restaurant.
- Showers? No.
- Grills? No.
- Lifeguard? No.
How to Get to Mama’s Fish House Beach
With Navigation: Simply input Mama’s Fish House restaurant and you cannot miss the beach.
General Directions: Mama’s Fish House is located on the Hana Highway (also known as the Road to Hana) just beyond the popular tourist town of Paia as you head east toward Hana. Visitors traveling from Hana will find it just past Hookipa Beach Park on the right hand side.
It is well-signed and very visible from the roadside so you will not be able to miss it from either direction. Look for the large boat bearing its name on the roadside, indicating your turn.
When to Visit
Sunset is the best time to visit Mama’s Fish House Beach. The sun will come down toward the West Maui Mountains directly in line with your view, creating a beautiful scene. If you’re fortunate, you may be visited by honus, Hawaiian green sea turtles, whom often come to rest on the shores at sunset.
In addition, the sun always sets in Maui between 6 – 7pm any time of year, which makes for the perfect dinner with a view and a night in Maui you won’t forget. For the dinner with a view, Mama’s earned a spot on the list of the Top 10 Maui Sunsets Photo Spots.
Of course, there is no bad time to visit! Anytime the sun is out is a good time to relax on the shore.
Other Relevant Maui Guides
Before you go, you may want to skim some of the titles for other relevant Maui guides below to ensure you do not miss any epic beaches, sunset destinations, or noteworthy things to do during your visit to the Valley Isle!
- HAWAII PACKING LIST: A printable essential packing list + 25 useful items to consider
- 5-7 DAY MAUI ITINERARY: How to see the entire island in one week or less
- WHERE TO STAY ON MAUI: The best places and areas to stay on the island
- PLANNING A TRIP TO MAUI: Step by step guide for planning your first visit to Maui
- ROAD TO HANA STOPS: The Top 25 places to visit on the Road to Hana
- ROAD TO HANA ITINERARY: How to plan for a 1-2 day self drive.
- BEST MAUI PHOTO SPOTS: 15 best places for photographing Maui
- SECRET BEACHES OF MAUI: The 10 most incredible hidden beaches on the island
- MAUI SUNSETS: The Top 10 places & activities for watching sunset in Maui
- KIHEI BEACHES GUIDE: Photos, locations, and descriptions for all 15 beaches in Kihei
- BEST SNORKELING IN MAUI: Best snorkel spots, tips, tours and more.